Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Spring Forward

I've been house-bound for the past week after a nasty episode of persistent vertigo. No driving, no walking, no birding. Ugh! Still I am able to look out my kitchen window and-hurray-I see signs of Spring. Specifically, today I saw my first Brown-headed Cowbird of the season. Some folks might think that the Brown-headed Cowbird is a pest, a problem, a parasite. There is some truth to this point of view. Cowbirds parasitize the nests of other songbirds, competing with their offspring for food, and, in some cases, threatening their very existence. For example, nest parasitism by cowbirds has been implicated in the sharp decline of Kirtland Warbler and Black-capped Vireo populations. In fact, it is likely that brood parasitism by cowbirds is a contributory factor to the decline of many Eastern songbirds, especially the ground-nesters like Ovenbirds and Eastern Meadowlarks. For a description of Brown-headed Cowbirds take a look at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology's Bird Guide at:
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide.

So, I should not be thrilled to see a Brown-headed Cowbird in my yard. But I am. He looks so stylish with his glossy black body and brown head. All dressed up for Spring. And he seems to be alone, though he may be scouting the territory. Whatever. He is the first bird heralding Spring as far as I am concerned and at the moment he is not causing trouble. That comes later.

No comments:

Post a Comment