Monday, March 9, 2009

March Madness!

What's not to like about March? The days are longer, the weather is milder, and the migratory birds are returning. March is an excellent month for ducks. The winter ducks are still with us-Common Goldeneye, Bufflehead, Common Mergansers, and Scaup-and the migratory ducks are slowly coming back. For example, this week I saw my first Gadwall of the year at Converse Bay, swimming with a large flock of goldeneye. Included in the goldeneye flock was a Barrow's Goldeneye male, one of several that have turned up this winter. To see a photo of a Barrow's Goldeneye compared to a Common Goldeneye go to Julie Water's website at http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/4242.php.

At the moment there is also a nice group of Ring-necked Ducks at the Shelburne Town Beach as well as a small number of Hooded Mergansers at Converse Bay, Charlotte Town Beach, and Shelburne Town Beach. At the Muddy Brook marsh open water is beginning to appear and today I spotted a pair of male Wood Ducks and three handsome Hooded Mergansers (2 males; 1 female). I have seen reports on the VTBird list of Green-winged Teal, Pintail, and Wigeon, though I have seen none of these species myself. That's the duck story.

Otherwise, the South Burlington Snowy Owl is still present and devouring rodents. And an adult Bald Eagle has taken up residence in the Intervale. And I saw my first Brown Creeper of the season at the Intervale today. And Bohemian Waxwings are everywhere. Whew!

And let's not forget about ice fishing. Last Thursday I caught a gigantic Largemouth Bass through the ice at Keeler's Bay-my first ever caught by ice fishing. As I brought this bass through the ice hole, the hook pulled out of its mouth. But the fish was so large that it couldn't turn around. So I reached down and lifted it out by its jaw, took a cell phone photo of the fish, and returned it to its native habitat. I am sure that this fish is still wondering what the hell happened.

I love March!

No comments:

Post a Comment