Monday, December 29, 2008

Welcome

Welcome to my blog! To be honest, this blog is an experiment, since I know nothing about blogging or the blogosphere. I do know something about Vermont outdoors, though, having lived in Vermont for over 45 years. I've indulged in Vermont's manifold outdoor activities throughout that time. Specifically, I am an enthusiastic birder and angler. This blog will be a journal of my successes and failures at birding and angling throughout the year. Visitors to my blog will be able to follow me on my birding and/or angling excursions throughout Vermont and possibly elsewhere, if they wish to do so. Or not.

This blog will complement the information provided on the website of the Green Mountain Audubon Society, which can be accessed at http://greenmountainaudubon.org/. There you can find places to go birding in Chittenden County, links to websites dealing with Vermont outdoors, and soon a blog newsletter which will include birds sighted in our region. My blog will not reproduce the information that you can find on the GMAS website. Rather, I will provide real-time information that reflects my own personal observations.

One other point. I contribute occasional bird sightings to the Vermont Bird Listserv and to Vermont eBird. Naturally, these sources are more comprehensive than my blog. However, I am pretty selective about the information that I post on the Vermont Bird List and it takes quite a bit of effort to mine the data recorded in eBird. My blog will be simple to consult and will be more interactive than either of these sources.

So enjoy! I expect that my blog will evolve over time as I become more familiar with the format and more expansive in its design. I welcome comments and hope that some of my enthusiasm for Vermont outdoors will carry over to my readers.

1 comment:

  1. Nice blog! I am sure it will give great insights to the birding community at large about what's going on in NW Vermont!

    ReplyDelete